Thursday, February 21, 2008

#31-40

31- Somewhere along the way, I stopped being ashamed of liking what I like. Yes, I love Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and I own Season 1 on DVD. Yes, I like to eat ketchup on my garlic alfredo noodles. Yes, I like new age “earth sounds” music and some Kenny G and lots of country. And yes, I love cheesy chick flicks and “inspirational romance novels.”

32- I love working in academia even though I’m not an academician. Those are both real words, by the way. Josh told me that “academician” sounds like some sort of alien life form. Which makes me laugh, because sometimes I think they might be. But really—I am like a little sponge on my campus, and if I hang around these people for longer than ten minutes I never fail to learn something new, whether it be a new word for my voracious vocabulary or psychological theory.

33- I love, love, love! having the perfect word. Articulation is a fine art.

34- I am interested in way too many things to ever become an expert on anything, I think. Except maybe intercultural communication. I can see myself becoming an expert on that. My boss wants me to go to graduate school. So did my old boss. So do my grandparents. But what about meeeee?

35- Despite my greatest attempts, I never drink enough water and always eat too much chocolate. (We have an M&M dispenser in my office that makes everyone on campus happy. When I came here I was told that my utmost duty is to make sure that it remains stocked. It is sorely overused, and sometimes the button you push to make the M&Ms come out doesn’t work and you have to shake it a little. Yesterday the button didn’t work. I was trying to be quiet… everyone else was being quiet. I gave it a little shake. Pushed the button. Nothing. A little bit bigger shake. Nothing. Finally, growing tired of making quiet rattles that were surely driving everyone crazy when they all knew by now that I wanted some M&Ms, I picked up the machine and started shaking it like crazy. The only thing is I didn’t put my hand over the lid. It flew off on the third shake and about 50 M&Ms went flying across the office, which drew a gasp and an “Oh no!” from me, and a sudden appearance from my boss, who declared she rather liked the color on the dull carpet anyway.)

36- I went to the Alamo when I was little with my parents, but the only thing I remember is being scared of lizards when my dad made me pose on top of a big boulder and wanting to go back and swim at the hotel pool. Oh, the attention span of babes.

37- When I was 14 I started dying my hair and kind of got into a habit. Blond, auburn, bold white and fire-engine red chunks, and finally in the summer of 2006, jet black. After that I decided to go au natural for awhile and also I made a bet with a friend that resulted in me agreeing not to cut my hair until May 2008. I now have the longest, naturally beautiful brown hair ever.

38- I get giddy when I have a fresh journal/legal pad/notebook/post-it pad.

39- I love wearing skirts but hate shaving my legs. I think I have shaved my legs two times since I’ve moved to Asheville, and once was when I was back in Florida for the holidays and wanted to wear shorts. The other was for Valentine’s day. ;)

40- I’m not really into stuffed animals and teddy bears, but when someone I love buys one for me, it becomes my most precious possession. Hence the bear my dad bought me from EPCOT, the frog that says “kiss me, I’m your prince charming” from Josh and the huge Nemo that my dad got me for Christmas one year always adorning my bed and serving as snuggling companions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, found you on 20sb.

some thoughts:

31 - There can never be enough ketchup. On anything.

32 - I had no idea those were real words.

35 - hahaha! Don't worry, M&M's have lead to far worse situations than that.

and good blog!

Anonymous said...

Ketchup? What kind?
If it's Hunts or Heinz... that's gross.
High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Why don't you just use straight sugar?
That poop is never good on anything.
They offer some good organics these days... corn syrup free!

Anonymous said...

Megan--are you lizard-phobic? I am! Oh, the stories I could tell...

Are we related? I also love Dr. Quinn (esp Sully, mmmm....), hate to shave my legs (I call it my "winter coat") and have an M&M dispenser in my office. I gave up chocolate for Lent (as noted in the England pix) and I walk past the M&Ms 50 times a day rethinking my decision.

We should talk soon. We need to catch up. Or ketchup.

Kak

A Wanderer's Heart said...

survivingmyself - thanks :) totally with you on the ketchup thing.

ketchup isn't good - yes, I am totally aware of the prevalence and dangers of HFCS... but what can I say, ketchup is my weak spot. It will be the last stronghold to go. I'll have to try some organic when my current bottle runs dry.

Kak - loved your pictures from England! I wish I could've been there with you... did you make it to the British Museum? Yes, I'm pretty sure we are related... cheese and teeth and other things forge a DNA bond, I think. Giving up chocolate for lent! You are a stronggggg woman.

Anonymous said...

okay, so i realize that heinz isn't good because of hfcs. Guess what? They make organic heinz ketchup and it's amazing. No hfcs. Check it out, I highly recommend it.

Becka Robinson said...

I love having the perfect word too. I think we grew into that together in our early Dawson's Creek days. And I love you. Much.