Friday, September 5, 2008

Goodbye, old boat

Yesterday consisted of:

having a cold
selling my beloved old boat for $200.00
vomiting up my dinner at Fletcher Park during my evening run
eating half a banana split and playing the original Nintendo with Joshua to end the day

There were things in between. Good things. But having a cold is like a cloud that hangs overhead all day. Selling your first car is a bigger deal than I expected. I hate vomiting so that had to be included. And banana splits, the original Nintendo and Joshua are three of my favorite things, so they had to be included.

I'm not sure when I started calling my car "the boat." A teal 1998 Mercury Sable does not resemble a boat in the least. I think it might have started in 2005 on summer project in Fort Lauderdale, because it was so huge and at the time I think I was running over curbs on a regular basis because I couldn't manage its girth very well.

The boat saw me through three stages of life. High school, college, and the official leaving of the nest when I moved to Asheville. I didn't realize how sentimentally attached I had become until yesterday when I signed over the title to someone named Ken and watched him hook up chains to her underside and drag her onto his tow truck. The tires squealed all the way, and I told Josh it was like she was crying, "Megan! Don't let this man take me!" He patted me on the shoulder and reminded me that it was a good thing that a car is an inanimate object. Whatever. The bond with the boat runs deep. At least she's not going to be torn apart for scrap metal. The boat will live on... with someone who gets one of her doors, or perhaps the hood. Or they may even replace the transmission and sell her used. Live on, old boat!

Memories with the boat:

Driving three hours in the dead of night from Tampa to Fort Pierce after my senior prom so that my mom could see me in my prom dress.

Drag racing with Becka and Jeremy down Westshore Boulevard at an ungodly hour. We were very stupid.

Driving with the windows down during the oppressive heat of a Florida summer when my AC refused to cooperate.

Driving to Fort Pierce with Heather Heather for Easter weekend... still no air, but it was raining so we had to keep the windows up while I interrogated her for the good part of an hour.

That moment while driving down to Fort Lauderdale to start summer project that I knew I was doing exactly what God wanted me to be doing.

Discovering a lagoon in my trunk with an entire ecosystem and evolutionary chain thriving within.

Blowing yet another tire at a gas station... leading to the discovery of the lagoon and an angel disguised as a cranky postal employee who put on the spare.

Road trips to Miami, Atlanta, Savannah, Asheville and everywhere in between.

My first experience driving in snow in November 2007.

Driving over a wall. I think that might have done the transmission in.

She had a good life. Do you have any memories with me in the boat?

4 comments:

zhaunie said...

In French I, another girl called her Sable a boat. Perhaps it stuck with you subconsciously.

A Wanderer's Heart said...

Billy, how do you remember this stuff?

zhaunie said...

I don't know. I probably teased you about it afterward, so that probably helped keep it in your brain.

Unknown said...

Oh... I miss the boat too. I'm happy, at least, that some of those good memories were with me! The boat will surely live on. I mean... it DID support that entire ecosystem, so I don't see how it won't live on in some way or the other.