Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ambulance protocol

Tonight on my way home, I was on a divided highway on on the other side of the road I saw an ambulance coming down the hill ahead of me. Kindly, two drivers pulled over to the right as far as possible (no real shoulders to pull off on). It warmed my heart a little... in our increasingly self-centered society, it was nice to see strangers giving way in order to help someone else in trouble. 


But I do have a question about ambulance protocol. When you are on the interstate and an ambulance comes up behind you, are you supposed to pull off the road? I think that is dangerous on a road where the speed limit is 70mph. I usually just get in the right hand lane, leaving the fast lane open for the ambulance to pass by. Does anyone know the real protocol in that situation, though?

2 comments:

David said...

"I usually just get in the right hand lane, leaving the fast lane open for the ambulance to pass by."

I have been a Paramedic 20 plus years and Yes that is the correct thing to do. Only if traffic is at a stand still due to a wreck would you pull off the road.

David Miller
Charleston,SC
(Lived in Asheville for 4 yrs in the late 90's)

A Wanderer's Heart said...

David, thanks for sharing! Good to know.