Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 5

Last night I was the very last one in my class to complete our WOD at CrossFit. And it really was a dead last... at least a minute behind everyone else.

Strength/skill - Hang clean (first time doing this skill for me)

7 x 2 reps

Worked up to 48#


WOD - Complete 7 (grueling) rounds of:

5 burpees

50 ft. weighted lunges (started off with a 25# sandbag but then decided BW was good enough for me)

5 pull-ups (gray band)

For time: 14:27


There was a 15 minute cut-off for the work-out. I had been dreading doing this WOD since I saw it on the CFA website yesterday morning. I think I need to not look. My goal was just to finish before the time cut-off, which I did with 30 seconds to spare.


Sometimes it's hard for me not to get discouraged. I get so tired of coming in last (or in the bottom three) and just want to feel like a victor instead of the exhausted girl dragging herself across the finish line. I have to look back on what I've accomplished so far though... three months ago when I started CFA, I never would've been able to do this WOD, certainly not seven times through. I just want to feel like I am improving. I guess once I've been at CFA long enough that I start repeating work-outs, I will be able to see my own progress. And I have to remember that the way CrossFit works is that you are always challenging yourself to do more weight/resistance, so the WODs will always be difficult.


On another note, I am discovering the true nature of my dependence on sugar. It really is a sneaky little beast, isn't it? This morning I woke up ravenous and craving it. Visions of hot chocolate and buttered cinnamon raisin toast swirled through my head on my drive to work. I had a pear and some left-over eggs and a bit of steak for breakfast once I got to the office. I'm getting really tired of meat. Still hungry, I headed to the cafeteria to see what I could find that fits my Challenge boundaries. I ended up leaving with two pieces of bacon (something else I've been craving), a bowl of fruit and raisins, and a bottle of orange juice. When I got back to the office, I looked at the back of the bottle of OJ and saw that it has a whopping 25g of sugar in it! That's pretty much the same as a can of Coke. It's fructose that comes naturally from the fruit and not HFCS, but it's sugar to my body all the same. And the same goes for the pineapple, grapes, and strawberries I grabbed. Fructose, fructose, and more fructose.


My body is being quite insidious toward me in its attempts to maintain normal sugar intake. Here I am thinking I'm being all healthy with my fresh fruit and "100% juice" and it turns out I might've well just have grabbed a bottle of soda and some candy.


Lesson learned: watch the fruit intake. More veggies. More, more, more veggies.

No comments: