Monday, January 10, 2011

Forgetting

I'm 25 years old and I'm already forgetting things as if I were 80. 

My keys. My phone. My shoes. My purse. 

One reason that I'm glad that I'm doing this 365 project is because I don't want to forget another year. Sure, sometimes things seem mundane, and I'm sure there will be plenty of days where I think, what the heck am I supposed to write about? But it will be a record of a year, nonetheless. 

One of my dear friends wrote a Christmas letter that she sent to friends and family. One, I don't think I will ever be the type who gets out an annual Christmas letter, even though I like receiving them. I am just not that punctual. Or succinct. Two, after reading Heather's letter, I realized I couldn't remember 2010. Like, even the big events. Of course, after a few minutes of concentrated effort, I can remember some things. Getting a new job at the hospital. Performing in Godspell. Joshua starting the RN program. But the everyday memories are annoyingly absent. 

So forgive me if my posts ever start to bore... I just want to record moments that I want to remember. Like how beautiful this snow was. And how I was able to leave work early, so I went sledding and threw snowballs and stood in a friend's kitchen catching up with beautiful Sue this afternoon who is one of those people in life that you just really admire and want to be like when you grow up. And how I miss watching my favorite shows, but I am so happy to make the time to go to the library and snuggle up with some of my favorite authors this winter. Speaking of favorite authors, I'd like some suggestions-- any good books you've read lately that you would recommend? Comment, please.  

Still haven't taken our Christmas lights down...
It keeps snowing and I won't let Joshua up on the roof. :)

3 comments:

Where's My Dream Life? said...

Zane and I started this thing last year where we list out all the big events of each month in each year in a Word document. If I get four bullet points for each month, then I've covered about each week. Without school and regular semester markers, the years just get lost in a muddle of time.

As for books, I've recently enjoyed the Hollow Kingdom Trilogy and Wildwood Dancing. Fairy tale stories. :)

A Wanderer's Heart said...

That's a good idea, Deb.

Jules said...

Have you read 'The Shack' yet? Unfortunately I read it a long while ago, as I don't seem to have much time for reading at the moment...