Wednesday, August 27, 2014

29 | 10


I love Biltmore Estate. When Joshua and I were dating long-distance, it was one of the first places he took me when I came up to visit him in Asheville. I've been in love ever since (with both Joshua and Biltmore... ha). When I moved here, I told the Lord that I wanted to work there. And I did. I started by picking grapes in the vineyard one season, and then got hired to work in Parking and Transportation, alternately driving a bus, standing "post" and directing traffic, or doing valet parking. It was easy, fun, and most of all beautiful. Seventy-five percent of the time I was standing outside, soaking in the beauty of my surroundings.

After I went to work at the hospital, I still maintained part-time work at the estate; but when we started having kids I had to give up the job. I was really sad about that. But we bought annual passes and are frequent flyers there nevertheless. Being a former employee has its perks-- I know a lot of the estate's history, which personalizes things in my mind. I know my way around and the quickest way to get here and there.

I don't walk through the house very often anymore, unless I need to feel inspired. It is grandiose and lavish, but the attention to detail that was given to every nook and cranny never ceases to amaze me. It truly is a work of art. George Vanderbilt must have been an interesting man.

Today Jain, Maddie, and I went for a walk... we started at Antler Hill Village and followed the path down to the lagoon. They have planted sunflowers in the fields along the path and they are in full bloom right now. The bees are having a heyday. From the lagoon we hopped on the Deerpark Trail and took it all the way up to the crest of the ridge where it meets up with the Meadow Trail. We had to turn around because of time constraints, but I would've loved to have finished the last half-mile or so to the house. It would be a six-milk walk there and back... we did five today. Jain was my walking partner before she moved to Lexington and I really haven't walked that much since she left... but I think I'm going to feel this one tomorrow. It was a beautiful walk, though. The bright blue sky, the sunflowers with their yellow faces following the sun, the peace of the French Broad River that gently flows over boulders and beckons with its cool waters, the expansive meadows and breathtaking views. I love this beauty, and I just want to drink it in. It makes me long for eternity.

Thankful I got to take such a nice, long "drink" today. I must try to do that every day.

No comments: