Sunday, June 26, 2016

My Cup Overflows

Sometimes, you breathe Psalm 23 as a prayer of faith. Sometimes, it's a smile and an acknowledgment and a "thank-You." 
The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely your goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. 
There are times in my walk with Jesus that I have opened the Scriptures and I've felt like it's 
like swallowing sawdust. And there are other times when I read and His Word is so sweet-- "sweeter than honey to my mouth!" I would say those sweet moments come during the times when I am most open to His Spirit at work within me and I am abiding in Jesus. Lately I've been working on mindfulness and abiding, which-- to my joy and surprise-- go hand-in-hand. And reading over Psalm 23, I feel like I could dive into the depths of those words and swim in the truths revealed about God and about my identity in Him for a long while. I drink them in... and they quench a thirsty spirit. 

Today I was reflecting on the past week and the words "my cup overflows" popped into my head. It was such an apt description of my heart. Highland's Kids Camp was Tuesday through Thursday at Montford Park and it was truly a thing of beauty. And Thursday evening's Highland in the Park was the icing on top of the cake. I am beyond thankful, joyful, and humbled to count myself as part of the Highland "family" -- and it really is a family, because I know the second I find myself in a hard spot I've got easily 50 people blowing up my phone to help, pray, love on me. After being away from this community for awhile, it's not something that I take for granted. My cup really does overflow. Surely Your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever! Amen. :)




No comments: