Friday, February 1, 2008

Inclement Weather

When I started my new job, I learned that one of my duties is calling the media to post school closing information. I thought this was going to be a lot of fun.

I guess I didn't realize that it entailed 5:45 a.m. calls and sleeplessness.

Oh well. At least I'm the first to know when there's no work.

Today is an inclement weather day. I tried to go back to sleep at 6:00 a.m. after calling the news, but my body declared that it had other plans. I laid in bed in vain for half an hour before getting up to shower. I've been up since. So far I have finished off one ER DVD and paid all of my bills. And tried again to sleep to no avail.

Yesterday I got paid and I was really disappointed in my paycheck. What I expected to get was my gross before the government took 600 of my dollars. I was bemoaning my fate for a good thirty minutes before God sent this reminder into my head: I once picked up this book about contentment and step one was "never allow yourself to complain about anything." I felt convicted and stopped complaining and started dancing again. Payday, everyone!

Now, most of my money is gone, but at least I know my bills are paid and there will be enough to buy groceries this month. Toward the end of January it was slim pickin's 'round these parts.

I did splurge and download The Heat by Needtobreathe. Kak, you should add that to your training mix.

My realization this morning is that blogging is fun and free. My kind of entertainment.

Are you ready for today's ten things? Here we go...

11. I'm an only child, but wasn't always. My younger sister died of heart disease 18 years ago. I now have a strange mix of only child/oldest child personality characteristics.

12. I love thunderstorms... which leads into the weird fact that I get very excited whenever a natural disaster is imminent. Is that sadistic? I am just most pumped in the midst of a crisis situation. Maybe I'm wired to do relief work.

13. My boyfriend bought me an iPod for Christmas. I had been secretly wanting one but trying to convince myself (quite publicly) that iPods are a detriment to society because they alienate people even further from one another in our already individualistic-to-the-point-of-ignoring-everyone-else lifestyles. I got an iPod speaker hook-up and share my tunes with everyone at work all day. I'm not sure if my Nigerian boss always digs my selection, but nobody has slammed their door shut yet.

14. If I could live in any three American cities in my lifetime, I would pick Asheville, Chicago and D.C.


15. When I was in Rome I went to the Trevi fountain and threw coins over my shoulder so that I would come back to Italy married. I completely believe it will happen.

16. I like to organize the clothes hanging in my closet by color.

17. Some days I really want to be married, and other days I am terrified of it. I'm pretty sure that's a sign I'm not ready yet.

18. I have these patent leather red high heels that make me feel absolutely bedazzling whenever I wear them.

19. I hate carrying a purse, but it's essential because I like to be forever prepared.

20. I spent a month in Nicaragua in 2006 and I'm pretty sure I left part of my heart there. I wonder a lot when I will get to go back.

Just found out that the campus is shut down for the day. That leaves me at home to lounge around and get ready for a wonderful date with my handsome man tonight. Our plans include dinner (with my favorite thing included... hot bread to dip in olive oil and assorted Italian spices), ice cream from the Marble Slab for dessert despite below freezing temperatures, and a movie at home while snuggled up on the couch. I've been looking forward to this all week. Now there's no work today. Long weekend!

I'm incredibly happy, and over and out.

Ciao, bella.