Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Extravaganza

Like so many women, my Valentine's Days memories have been tepid at best, tearful at worst. Until today, my Valentine memories have included overhearing a boyfriend brag about the cheap price he got for my gift, an ex obligating me into an unwanted dinner date and the all-time favorite-- forgotten.

Okay, "forgotten" really isn't fair. Huge miscommunication is more like it.

This year, Joshua set out to erase all those memories and replace them with something wonderful.

For some reason I woke up at 5:46 a.m. for no apparent reason. Because of that, when a hooded male figure came tiptoeing into my room fifteen minutes later, I sat up with a huge gasp, expecting a rapist or murderer. Then I saw the shadowed outline of a huge bouquet of flowers. And that favorite guy voice of mine, whispering, "It's okay, Megan, it's just me."

He put the flowers on my vanity table with a card and went to make a quick escape but I grabbed him just before he shimmied out my bedroom door. I pulled him down for a big hug and good gravy, he smelled divine. He got up at 5:00 in the morning to come over and he shaved first? Happy Valentine's Day to me, indeed.

He gave me instructions to rest and went downstairs and started banging around the kitchen. I dallied for a bit before turning on the light to check out my flowers. Gorgeous wildflower bouquet and the perfect card. My Valentine's day was complete already.

I was in the middle of taking a shower when I smelled something heavenly outside the bathroom door. Knock, knock. "Megan, your breakfast is ready." This man of mine has brought me my favorite breakfast up to my room on a tray. Homemade waffles with strawberries and powdered sugar.

I wanted to take my flowers to work so that everyone could admire them, but Josh wouldn't let me. I asked him to help me make my lunch and he wouldn't do that, either. Tricky, tricky. I drove to work in a romantic haze and told everyone on my floor about breakfast. Noon rolled around, and I expected Josh with lunch in tow, and maybe a dozen roses.

In he walks. Gorgeous glass vase, overflowing with THREE DOZEN red roses. My favorite. And lunch. The roses were a major interruption for the rest of the day as almost everyone who walked down the hall came in to comment. But I didn't mind-- I just blushed every time and told everyone I have the best boyfriend in the world. Cause it's true. Can't you tell?

Right now, I'm all dressed up in a red polka-dotted dress, waiting to go downstairs. Josh has made us dinner and more surprises in store.

I am a princess today.

That's all there is to say.

1 comment:

Becka Robinson said...

Red polkadotted dress? We all know what that means ;)