Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Snug as a bug in a rug

It's one of those days where my mood wants to match the weather.

The weather: Completely gray sky, slight drizzle, expected to turn into severe thunderstorms by 4:00 this afternoon.

It's actually my favorite kind of weather; not favorite kind of mood.

Last night I went over to my friends Amy and Cheri's place for our standing Tuesday-night dinner date. The menu was Japanese curry rice and orange slices, which was good, but left me sorely missing my roommate Julia and her Wonder Woman skills in la cocina. (I would try to say it in Japanese to be more authentic, but as I pointed out to Amy and Cheri last night, the only things I know how to say in Japanese are "thank you," "you're welcome," "are you okay?" and "I'm okay.")

I really enjoy hanging out with Amy and Cheri on Tuesday nights because it generally goes something like this:

We team-tag it for the making of some delectable dish (note to Amy: dish is delectable only if not infused with citrus peelings), while simultaneously gnawing on a crossword or puzzle of some sort. The conversation is mostly light but there are brief bouts of topics that touch the deeper things in life. Then we pull out the TV trays in the living room to enjoy our dinner while we sit on the couch in a line like three little birds on a telephone wire, saddled by two enormous dogs, and provide a complete running commentary on American Idol.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

A) This makes me sound incredibly old-ladyish. (This also makes Amy and Cheri sound incredibly old-ladyish. I hope they don't mind.)

B) It makes me feel really good to know there are other people on the planet besides myself who enjoy an evening like that. Not that I don't like a night out on the town, but the comfort of being able to completely be myself and just lounge around, stuff my face and watch TV is nice.

C) This is a wonderful showcase of my completely addictive personality. Michelle and I don't have cable at our apartment and we never watch TV, only movies. So I was never into American Idol. Now I am addicted, shouting at the television like a banshee and urging Amy to call to vote for David Archuleta.

Tonight is budget night and ER catch-up night. Hopefully it will be a wonderfully rainy affair, and I will be as snug as a bug in a rug.

Easter break is so close I can taste it. Thank God. Back to work for me, now, though.

No comments: