Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm pouting

So, you see, I normally watch American Idol with Cheri and Amy on Tuesday nights. Which works out because they have television and I don't. They weren't available tonight-- Idol finale night-- and I had accepted the fact that I would miss the battle of the Davids. But then I got really excited, because my roommate just brought home this new thingamajig that gets us some television reception. One channel, to be exact.

Yeah, the wrong one.

I was all bundled up on the couch, excited and anticipating a "humdinger" of a finale like Simon said I should, when all of a sudden Dancing with the Stars comes on.

Whatever.

Joshua is heading off to India in about two weeks and he'll be gone for the whole summer. In efforts to not be lonely I have plans to work-out like mad, catch up on all the projects I've been putting off, and last but not least reset my internal alarm clock, which has me waking up somewhere around 9:00 a.m.

I will really miss Joshua, but I'm glad that he gets to go. Everyone should get the opportunity to go and serve and feel what it's like to sweat and work until exhaustion overtakes you on behalf of people who need help with basic things like food, water and healthcare. It really revamps your worldview and day-to-day mentality, at least until you're back in the U.S. for two months and it all just starts to fade away into a cherished memory.

My roommate put up maps in our living room and kitchen tonight-- a world map and a map of the U.S., and it just made me feel more restless than I already am. I want to GO so bad! I am praying that God will make the path clear. I know He will. He says over and over again that although we make plans, He is the one that directs where we go. If He is giving me this heart that is restless for the nations, I have a feeling I'll end up there eventually.

Meanwhile, if I am in the country in 2010, I am definitely doing the 3-day and joining Team Girlapalooza. Kak and my old roommate Kristie are walking this year in D.C. and it just seems contagious. It's a good thing. It's fun to be involved in good things. When I was in college, I participated in several Invisible Children rallies? protests? demonstrations? and it just felt good to stand up for those who need the world to be aware of the injustices being perpetrated against them. It is good to give of your money, time and talents to further peace, love, and reconciliation, both physically and spiritually.

Alright, well, I suppose I'm off to go drown my sorrows by watching a documentary about Mecca.

Peas and carrots, all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? Your roommate is walking in DC?? Does she live here? If she wants a team, she'd be welcome on ours!

zhaunie said...

I'm going soon :P

JD @ run-thru-life.blogspot.com said...

Honestly, I am glad that I have never been sucked into the Idol phenomenon. So many people at work talk about it, and it seems that Idol is almost WHAT they live for. It makes me think of the concept of "bread and circuses." The reality around us needs so much attention I cannot see getting so caught up in a TV show. Peace.

A Wanderer's Heart said...

Kak - Yeah, she's walking in DC this year. She lives in VA now. Did you get my email?

Billy - :P right back atcha

JD - Yeah, it's silly, but I have an addictive personality and once I'm on to something I'm completely hooked. Also, I am intensity cubed all the time and sometimes I need a little frivolity to remind me to chill. American Idol is total frivolity. ;)

Unknown said...

I love you. I have a present for you when you come down. It might help with the mourning from the fire loss.

Becka Robinson said...

How on Earth were you sad for SYTYCD?! It's so amazing!

A Wanderer's Heart said...

Bek, what does SYTYCD have to do with anything? Although I am sad because I wanted to watch that, too, but since I don't get Fox... I guess I'll have to YouTube it. :P