Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Adorkable

It amuses me how my life is such a mixture of the frivolous, the mundane, and the important. I think that if everything was important all the time, we would all die very young. Have you noticed how all of our presidents turn gray during their tenure? Everything is important all the time. At least excluding playtime with Marilyn and Monica.

Tonight before I went to eat dinner and watch American Idol with Amy and Cheri, I looked at the bookshelf in my room and said out loud, "I have a lot to learn, and that makes me happy." I think this may classify me as one of the biggest dorks on the planet, and I embrace it proudly. Adorkable.

My bookshelf is stuffed with a lot of nonfiction works that I have either started and not finished or not even opened yet, and a lot of the time I lack the motivation to pick one up and start fresh. But tonight inspiration struck for some reason. I'm currently reading Daughter of Persia that I borrowed from the library, so my old faithfuls on the dusty bookshelf will have to extend a little more patience to me. But tonight I fell in love with them all again.

In between the yet-to-reads are my favorite books that I know I will read time and time again or I am too sentimentally attached to and so I can't give them away. Am I the only person out there who is sentimentally attached to books? I thought so before I met my previous roommate K-Smeltz. Just like me, she had her "comfort books"-- you know, akin to comfort foods. My comfort foods are generally carbohydrates and salty. My comfort books are usually easy reads that have writing that I melt into.

Did anyone see American Idol tonight? Especially the cringe-worthy two minutes where the judging panel lambasted Jason Castro for his rendition of Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff"? And was it just me, or did Jason mouth "Don't vote" to the camera as Ryan Seacrest was rattling off his voting number? If he somehow miraculously survives the execution round tomorrow night after two lackluster performances, forgotten lyrics and an outright request that nobody vote for him, I seriously might stop watching the show. Okay, not really. But I will be really, really mad. Just like Simon and Randy, who I think know that Jason wants to go home and is almost self-sabotaging in his performances.

After a dose of that fluff, I am ready for bed. Ciao, bella.

No comments: