Friday, May 2, 2008

Sweet sigh of relief

It's the weekend
I just ate chicken for dinner
It tasted just as good as I remembered
Still don't think I could eat pig or cow
Why?
Read Skinny Bitch and you'll see
At least chickens pumped full of steroids aren't tortured quite as badly as pigs and cows
Although that might be debatable.

I am neither skinny, nor a bitch (most days)
And I was tired of eating carbohydrates and beans
I was a bad vegetarian
But it's still important to me
So who knows.

Meanwhile
I had some very juicy
Wonderfully breaded
Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets.

Just four
In case they don't settle well.

Last time I had chicken-flavored ramen I got a stomach ache
So hopefully nothing worse will come of this.

It's the weekend.

I am going to watch ER and take a long, hot shower and RELAX
And then snuggle with my boyfriend
And not think about anything related to commencement or faculty or budgets or deadlines.

I went to a Relay for Life event tonight
Because my roommate headed it up
And I realized, as I stood in the crowd, listening to the cancer survivor talk
And I watched all the cancer survivors take the first lap of the relay
That it's things like these that get me pumped about life.

I have been thinking and thinking about trying for the 2010 3-day.

Would you support me?

This year I am supporting my good friend Kak
The one who writes the sermons
When I'm too hard on myself. :)

If you want to know more about it, I will be glad to tell you
And we can raise money together
To find a cure
For a disease that steals.

Which again reminds me why I was a vegetarian in the first place.

Kris Carr
Crazy Sexy Cancer
Healthy living
Life free of toxicity.

It's the weekend
Sweet sigh of relief.

4 comments:

Becka Robinson said...

:) Bravo. I don't know much about the relay but I remember Tracy was always really excited about it.

Sometimes I'm glad my taste for meat has gone away. For a long time I still wanted chicken but now I can't eat it. I love the smell but as soon as I bite into it my stomach turns, I think it's the texture actually. I've gotten so used to the substitutes which are less chewy.

I need to re-read Skinny Bitch though because my dairy intake is through the roof!

I am addicted to green juice though so maybe that evens it out ;)

I love you and miss you and wish we lived closer and if gas wasn't the bain of my existence I'd hop in the car and drive up there right now. I can't wait for our cruise! We gotta pick one :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug Megan. Would you consider adding a link to my donation page on your site?

I'm ready for action today because last night, I learned that my Sunday school co-teacher (a lovely 15-yr-old girl) and her sister, my 6-yr-old student, lost their mom to breast cancer on Saturday night. I am so heartbroken for them. Six year olds shouldn't be motherless. Let alone some 15-year-old with so much in front of her.

I also had a mammogram this morning, which just makes me want to scream and yell about the importance of early detection. The statistics are alarming. One in eight women will die from breast cancer. One in EIGHT. If I thought 60 miles would give Claire one more day with her mom, I would walk 60 every day.

I hope you are serious about 2010. I want you on my team!! Think about crewing in 2009 with some friends (or your mom...). Crew doesn't have to raise money to participate and you can get a flavor for the event to psych yourself up for it.

I hope to get toursforthecure.com going before much longer!

Anonymous said...

OK, OK, I got little hyberbolic as I was typing. One in eight will be **diagnosed** with breast cancer. Sorry to sound the alarm.
KB

A Wanderer's Heart said...

Miss Marie - are you making your own green juice these days? or buying it?

Kak - I would love to post your link on my site... please email it to me. And I'm glad that your first statistic was off the mark... that one scared my socks off when I read it! I am serious about the 3-day in 2010, and I would love to be on your team!