Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back into the habit

I have decided that I have neglected the blogosphere for far too long. Hence I set forth the resolution that I will blog daily-- yes, daily, ladies and gentlemen-- until December 31, 2008. Then it will be time for a new year's resolution, and who knows! Maybe you'll get me for an entire year next time.

Tonight I chose not to watch the presidential debate. (I did watch Biggest Loser. Love that show.) However, here is my hurrah for patriotism:


Really, I do care-- but then again, really, I don't. I think that the responsibilities of citizenship are extremely important, especially since we still live in a democracy. However, I also think that this place is not my home. And I fully expect all earthly circumstances to grow progressively worse until I die or Jesus returns. End of story. This doesn't inspire apathy, though. Instead, I'm on fire for the advancement of the Kingdom; for justice and peace; and for spreading hope, faith, and most of all love. I care deeply about issues like human trafficking and the sex industry, genocide, hunger and famine, clean water, and education.

When I consider the looming financial crisis of our nation, and the presidential race, it is easy to become overwhelmed or anxious. But then I remember that this place is not my home... that the end will come... and that it won't matter if I have money in the bank or if a Republican or Democrat is in the White House. What will matter is the state of our hearts, the nature of our beings, and the spiritual reality that we find all too easy to ignore because it doesn't seem real right now.

Chew on that.

3 comments:

Noel said...

First, I'm jealous that you actually have fall. It's more like an Indian Summer down here.

Second, for the most part I agree with your description that things will progressively get worse. I guess I'm still trying to figure out the balance of apathy and activism. I've gotten so fed up with politics... Basically now all I do is get my political news from SNL :)

Becka Robinson said...

Oh you should have watched it! And played games! We drank every time they said "bailout" "maverick" "fundamentals" "ronald reagan" and a few others. It was hilarious!

generic Brand said...

When I saw this ad on YouTube it made me want to UN-register to vote. Unfortunately the bourgeoisie lackeys in the quad said I couldn't do that. I guess it's permanent now :(