Friday, October 17, 2008

Blustery day

The weather was perfect for autumn today, in my opinion. The morning started out with rain that was more of a drizzle than a full-out rainstorm. Then it cleared up but stayed overcast for most of the day, with the clouds hanging low over the mountains so that their peaks were shrouded in mist. The trees have started to display their full glory now, and so they are green at the core and then branch outward with leaves of yellow and finally taper off with brilliant red. All day long cold gusts of wind were blowing through the valleys, and so puffs of colorful leaves floated off trees and twirled their way down to the streets below.

Beautiful autumn.

Tomorrow I'm going to hike Mount Pisgah, if the weather permits.

The trees are tinged with orange and gold,
the wind has icy fingertips.
Autumn unfurls, her colors unfold,
she breathes a kiss from dusky lips.
I will sit at the riverbanks and taste of the day,
and watch the dying leaves fall.
The trees will bend and in the cold wind sway,
as Autumn to Winter calls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saturday, 10/18
Autumn in DC--today I was at Arlington Cemetery and after the changing of the guard, there was a wreath-laying cememony. A bugler came out and blew "Taps" by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and all these fall leaves started swirling in the breeze. Very lovely and powerful and sad all at once.

Guess where I was Thursday nite? In the Oval Office! Not actually IN it, but right outside the little velvet rope across the doorway, thanks to some tour clients with connections. Super cool. Stuck my head right across that rope and looked around. Not so much as a diet coke can anywhere.

And because I am the grand poobah of the nerd herd, I got a little misty in the Press Briefing Room when I sat in Helen Thomas' chair in the front row. I know, I know, it's a dorky old lady thing. If the shoe fits....

Kak

A Wanderer's Heart said...

I almost got a little misty as I was imagining the scene you described in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Josh and I had hoped to take a trip up to DC between Christmas and New Year's, but we just looked at the budget and it's a no go. I am very sad.