Thursday, October 30, 2008

L'chaim... or to Jesus?

Sometimes I am just absolutely stunned by all the blessings God has lavished upon me.

When was the last time you took a minute to just think about that?

I look around my bedroom right now and I just see the evidence of God's blessing and abundant provision in my life. Considering all that I have, I realize that I am so materially wealthy and also very blessed in ways immaterial. I see pictures of trips to D.C., Italy, Chicago, Savannah, England, Scotland. Photos of my family, friends, and beautiful landscapes that I have had the pleasure of laying my eyes upon. A keyboard and the ability to craft melodies that express emotion and set my heart free. A closet full of clothes to not only keep me warm but also keep me looking somewhat fashionable. A chest full of jewelry, two bins full of shoes-- including one hot pair of red patent leather heels. Books, movies, music... warm blankets and feather pillows... a kitchen full of food upstairs and money on my desk to go get my hair cut tomorrow. So much!

Shannon (the pastor at Highland) posed this challenging question last Sunday, referring to our relationship with Jesus: are you in it for God's blessings, or are you in it for God? Meaning, is my spirituality about wanting an escape from hell, wanting God to make my life easier, wanting God to give me more good stuff like I mentioned above? Or is it about wanting to know God and love Jesus? To examine my heart truthfully in light of that question made me squirm a bit, I'll be honest.

My heart truly longs to love my King for who He is, and not for His gifts. Although I am very appreciative of them, and I am planning to enjoy my haircut tremendously tomorrow. ;) But I think I will ponder throughout my Friday what exactly it means to pursue my God solely for the sake of knowing Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I started working at a probation and parole office in St. Pete and to see the people that come in and what they're wearing and knowing they don't have anywhere to live or any family to help them...on my way to work the other day I started singing 'Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day' and thanking God for the life I have and the blessings he's given me.

*Sarah H.*