Wednesday, November 12, 2008

$6.00 date

There's a new Regal Cinema opening up in Asheville (with stadium seating, ta da!) and the "official" opening is this Friday. But this Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday they showed older movies and tickets were $1.00. Popcorn also $1.00, as well as soda. So tonight Josh took me to the movies, which I consider special because he hates going to the movies, and we only spent $6.00. I skipped dinner so that I would be able to fill up on that buttery goodness called movie popcorn.

We saw WALL-E, which Josh missed when it was out earlier this year because he was in India at the time. It's a fun one, although not my Pixar favorite. Finding Nemo still reigns as #1 in my book.

The weeks are just flying by... this weekend is Josh's birthday, then next weekend Heather Heather will be here, then the following weekend is Thanksgiving weekend. Then just a few more weeks until Christmas, and then it will be 2009. Craziness.

I'm flying home for Thanksgiving on this really cheap airline called Allegiant and because it costs like $30.00 for a checked bag, I'm just going to try to survive with a carry-on. I notoriously overpack for every traveling occasion, so I have no idea how I am going to accomplish this. Any tips?

The Worthys have a group of people over and the kids are going crazy upstairs. I'm fully expecting Sammy to come crashing through the ceiling and land in a pile of dust on my bed any minute now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take it from me... I'm on and off planes all the time. Leave those giant bottles of shampoo at home! You can't take them in your carry-on anyway. Your mom has shampoo, I'm almost certain. And she has a washing machine, too.

The FAA allows 2 carry-ons, so make sure one of them ISN'T your purse. Take a small purse that will fit in a carry-on and take it out when you get on the plane. Those roll-aboards fit a lot, too, btw. Borrow one if you don't have one.

Think about Christmas too if you're going home then. See what you can take on this trip that you can leave there for next month. I actually have a whole set of clothes and toiletries at my mom's. The bad side, of course, is that in every family holiday photo, I'm wearing the exact same outfit!

You can prob UPS the lightweight stuff ahead of time for less than $30.

When you're packing, make sure all your liquids are in the top of your bag so you can get to them quickly when you have to take them out in security. And don't even bother trying to convince security that your 6 oz tube of toothpaste only has 3 oz of toothpaste in it. The CONTAINER has to be 3 oz.

You will get thru security much faster and people like me won't be giving you the eyeroll and heavy sigh.

Jules said...

WALL-E is a great movie, but you're right...Finding Nemo is one of the best!

I can't believe its almost 2009 either. I remember 9 years ago when we got to the year 2000! :/

Unknown said...

Also remember that it won't be really cold down here. You can bring one set of socks and stuff things into spaces that otherwise will be empty space in your bag.. such as shoes. I always put socks and undies in my tennis shoes because that saves some room.
I also bring outfits that are intermixable so it looks like I brought a lot of outfits, when really part of outfit A can work with new outfit C and part of outfit C will is actuall outfit B.

You'll see this magic next weekend when I come visit.

And lastly... you can bring a big purse. I keep a lot of my travel stuff in my purse. I don't pack a jacket, but I just wrap it around my waist. You really only need one pair of jeans (no one will judge you for wearing them 2 days in a row... or even 4 days in a row).

It's really not worth the $30 bucks they charge you.

And anything that your mom has dont' bring, like Kak said.
You don't need a blow drier, shampoo, soap, or conditioner. All that your parents should have.

I love you megan megan!

Unknown said...

and lastly...it never hurts to invest in one of those vacuum bags. I use them for clothes, then I suck all the air out of them and you'd be amazed how much more clothes fit when you smoosh them down to size using those vacuum bags. They have travel sized ones. Just don't put any liquids in it, because then the TSA will make you open it and hence ruin the point of compartmentalizing.

The TSA.. seriously? It's a joke.

Becka Robinson said...

AYKM? Wall-E was so cute. I cried. Nate cried too. But don't tell him I told you. :)