Sunday, November 9, 2008

Manly Movie Night

Tonight Joshua and I were bored, so we popped in Gladiator. Joshua is infinitely patient with me and will generally sit through my selection (for example, yesterday it was Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman). Tonight we went for something a little more manly. I love movies like Gladiator and Braveheart, although Josh makes fun of me because I close my eyes during all the gory parts. But it is the essence of the stories that I find moving.

Midway through the movie tonight, Joshua and I looked at each other and with a shame in our expressions we vocalized how grateful we were to be at home bored on a Sunday night instead of standing in the Colosseum ready to be executed by gladiators or eaten alive by lions. I marvel at the fact that sometimes I am hesitant to speak about my relationship with Christ when all I might have to suffer is rejection or someone's rudeness. The apostles were summarily exiled, beheaded, burned alive, crucified, or drawn and quartered. And countless disciples of Christ died in front of a Roman mob that was hungry for bloody entertainment. (Although, when I went to Italy in 2002 our tour guide denied that Christians were ever murdered in the Colosseum or something like that... bad PR, you know.)

I also marvel at the fact that in spite of this knowledge, I am still incredibly self-absorbed.

I've got Braveheart at the top of my Netflix queue because Josh has never seen it. I think the only two movies that have ever made me cry are Braveheart and The Passion of the Christ. I don't know if I'll get teary-eyed with this viewing, but it's a definite possibility.

Tomorrow's Monday. I'm excited for a new week. :) Fun things in store.

4 comments:

generic Brand said...

I think the line "it is the essence of the stories that I find moving" negates the moniker "manly movie".

If you can follow the story line it's not manly enough. It's just a Clay Aiken in Paul Bunyan's clothing.

A Wanderer's Heart said...

Touché.

I once watched a Conan the Barbarian movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. No plot whatsoever. Does that count?

Becka Robinson said...

I still can't believe that woman stood there bold-faced and told us that no Christians were persecuted there. Really? REALLY?

And I think the musical scores are similar too. And Jutty lost my copy of Gladiator on DVD. I just remembered that it's lost. Sad.

generic Brand said...

Conan the Barbarian most assuredly counts as a manly movie.

"What is good in life? To crush your enemies. To see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women! This is good"