Monday, November 10, 2008

Miscellaneous Monday*

* Title stolen from Mrs. LC's blog.

In the office where I work (read: Bryan's office down the hall) there's a basketball underneath the desk that I roll around with my feet while I edit video. Every night when I sit down at the desk in my room to blog, I go to put my feet on a nonexistent basketball. I think I have one out in the garage and I might go bring it in just to keep underneath my desk for said purpose.

Mission accomplished. Except that it's a little flat. Easily fixed (said in a nonchalant British accent with accompanying hand wave).

Give thanks with a grateful heart...
Today I am thankful for:
Waking up in a warm, snuggly bed.
Chilly autumn air.
The opportunity to talk to God all day long.
Hot chocolate.
Airplane tickets to Florida for Thanksgiving.
A new journal, full of blank pages to fill.
Memories.
Anticipation.
Laughter, hugs, and kisses.
Yummy food to eat all day long.
Going to sleep in a warm, snuggly bed. :)

Think I might watch The Matrix tonight. I've been wanting to watch it again ever since I wrote The Vision post.

First, though, I am going to call Joshua Geiger and tell him goodnight.

Ciao, bellas.

P.S. Has anyone besides me noticed how the musical score from Gladiator is nearly identical to that of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

5 comments:

Mrs. LC said...

I actually don't think I've ever seen Gladiator, but it's always on my "need to get around to viewing" movie list.

Love all the things you're thankful for. :) Isn't it beautiful to just thank God and appreciate the small things we so often take for granted, like warm beds, beautiful weather, new journals with blank pages waiting to be filled (I too love this!), and so much more. Thank you for sharing that, it definitely just reminded me to stop and give thanks for all the little things I often overlook. :)

P.S. Feel free to steal any titles, or anything else you please! :)

zhaunie said...

I believe Hans Zimmer did the music for both of those movies. Pirates has to sound like Gladiator though because Gladiator came out first.

You'll have to chalk that one up to musical style. For instance: people were watching a movie here shortly after I moved in. I was minding my own business in my room, but I heard the music in the movie and thought, "Hmm, that really sounds like John Williams." It was true. The movie turned out to be Hook.

People can do the same thing with "the greats." That's certainly not to say that Hans Zimmer and John Williams aren't "the greats" of today, but you know what I mean.

JD @ run-thru-life.blogspot.com said...

I in general think that it is pretty sad that our "great" composers write for movies and not for a grander audience. Maybe someday they will be looked back on like Mozart, but most of me doubts that.

generic Brand said...

Hans Zimmer wrote the operatic "Spider Pig" at the end of The Simpson's Movie.

zhaunie said...

Spider Pig - hahahaha.

John Williams has written music for the Olympics and I think NBC news. He's quite prolific. Frequently, composers would write for who would them. Plenty of the greats had patrons or were commissioned to write pieces for certain things. Soundtracks are the next evolution.

Entertainment in older times was opera, symphony, and the like. Now, entertainment is film, tv, and broadway. Performance of "classical" music isn't so popular anymore, so writing for a grander audience wouldn't be too profitable for most people, I think. People still do write for that purpose, but the key is diversification.

There's plenty of great things in movie music today, but there is also stuff that isn't the best or doesn't make much sense to listen to without the picture. Not everything that the greats wrote is considered masterpiece either.