Thursday, November 20, 2008

Symphony of shooting stars

Tonight Joshua and I went star-gazing up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bundled up in quilts and afghans from Grammy Doris' house, we sat on the hood of the car (yay for warm engines) and stared up into the heavens. An inky black sky dotted with diamond-like stars with a blanket of clouds rolling in from the south.

As the clouds moved over the patch of sky we were watching, lots of cold air came with them. The side of my body that was exposed to the south suddenly felt like it was being crystallized with ice at one point, which was really cool. I've never actually felt a cold front move in like that.

Josh and I started singing old hymns and some different worship songs that we know, and as we did the symphony of shooting stars began. The brightest one shot through the sky in the middle of us singing Rich Mullin's famous tune Awesome God and Josh laughed and said, "He really likes that one." I said that it was probably Rich up there that nudged God and said, "Hey, give them a good one, they're singing my song!"

No comments: