Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thank God for Billy

I'm not sure if I have mentioned my thankfulness for Billy yet in the history of this blog. I think I might not have made it through college without Billy. I certainly would have failed my core requirements for math and science without his assistance. And he's still correcting me. :P

Daylight Saving Time. And supposedly it was created because of energy, not farmers. Fine.

I hate it when I'm wrong. It's just because I always think I'm right. It's part of my personality. If you don't believe me, you can consult my Meyers-Briggs personality description, which states it plain and simple. Of course, it adds that I usually am right, and I know it. Cheeky grin.

This weekend was my first Halloween in Asheville. I was actually downtown for awhile, which I will admit made me nervous on my way there. I hate it that I'm a fear-based person, but it's true. Generally, you are either a fear-based person or an anger-based person.* Both are debilitating if you let them rule. I'm learning to beat those fearful thoughts into submission. But Halloween was an incredible juxtaposition of my new nature in Christ and my flesh, duking it out within.

On Friday night I went downtown with some friends to spend two hours at the Prayer Gallery. There were a dozen of us or so and we worshiped, prayed for our city and for the lost, and declared the glory of Jesus-- that the enemy has been defeated, and that Christ made a public spectacle of him through His work on the cross (Colossians 2:15). The Holy Spirit was seriously revving within me as I prayed those Scriptures aloud, in the midst of a city glorifying darkness and a host of pagans celebrating evil in the woods around Asheville. It felt so good to declare God's victory! I left the Gallery feeling triumphant in Christ and unafraid.

Then I got home and realized I would be home by myself, and became a sissy and made Joshua stay with me until they returned.

Christ versus flesh. I haven't received a spirit of fear, but a spirit of adoption that makes God Almighty my Daddy. Somehow I thought Josh could protect me and the God that created the earth couldn't? Silly girl.

Oh, to grow in Him.




* this fact brought to you a la Mary, the therapist

1 comment: