Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Losing everything

I have come to discover that when you face the prospect of losing everything (and I'm talking material possessions here), it is then that you discover what is really important to you.

My apartment caught on fire in 2007 and as I stood outside watching the roof blaze it was a bizarre feeling to know that I could be left with nothing. I left the scene that evening without even being able to drive my car, because my keys were upstairs in my bedroom. It was only then when I was on my way to a friend's house that the things that I sincerely felt loss over came crashing down on me. At the same time, I found it interesting to see what really mattered. My jewelry that had been given to me by Joshua, my Nana, and my parents. My journals that recorded all of my topsy-turvy emotions through my adolescence and various romances and was a witness to (certain parts of) my life even up until two days before the fire. My computer that had all of my photos and music on it. The thought of my keyboard being melted down into one smelly chunk of plastic was something I refused to dwell on, especially the notebook filled with songs I had written over the past seven years that was sitting on top of it. But that was it. It was interesting to take stock of my life and realize what I would really keep if I had to choose.

I was faced with a similar situation this week-- though not nearly so dramatic-- when Bryan told me the data from my hard drive is irrecoverable. He even stuck it in the freezer overnight to see if he could get it to run again, to no avail. I realized that the only things that mattered to me were the years of photos and years of music that were saved onto that hard drive. Mainly what mattered to me where the photos of the trip to England that I took with my family in 2006, because I hadn't posted any of those on Facebook or Flickr and the thought of losing them all was very sad. And I still have all of my CDs, so I can just re-import them into iTunes, but all of the purchased music... hundreds of dollars worth... uggghhh.

And here I must take a moment to thank my dear friend, Billy, who before I moved to Asheville two years ago insisted on backing up my iTunes and all my photo files. Today I discovered in my desk two DVDs full of pictures, including photos from our trip to England... all of them! Whoo hoo! And I'm sure that I have downloaded more music since November 2007, but the majority of the files should be on the DVDs he burned as a backup for my iTunes... and hopefully there is a way to rip the music off of my iPod and put it onto my laptop once Bryan installs a new hard drive.

It's weird how in these moments it becomes clear what is important. I think everyone should have a couple of these moments in their lifetime... it helps maintain perspective (no, everything is not necessary; yes, some things are irreplaceable).

Anyways, with the new hard drive I'll be getting my laptop will once again be super speedy and also I think I am getting Photoshop which tickles me pink. Yay for losing everything. :)

3 comments:

Where's My Dream Life? said...

Three cheers for Billy!

Unknown said...

yeah... been there, done that. It was a little ironic to me that your apartment burned down only 2 years after my house burned down.

but it's a good life lesson, right? And at least you didn't pray for it to happen, like I did. haha.

zhaunie said...

You're welcome. I'll try to help you again.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

Click on "purchases - missing" then "My harddrive crashed..."

There, it gives you a link about restoring from your iPod. Maybe everything you lost is on your iPod - I don't know - but, there's also a form at the bottom of the page where you can request to re-download purchases. Make sure to note that you don't need everything, because you had some backed-up already. They don't necessarily LIKE doing this because they might have to pay more royalties or something, but I'm guessing it'll be better that you only need SOME of your purchases.

Sorry that I didn't respond sooner, but I just got back yesterday. I hope you're doing well.