Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm fighting my insecurities

... and I'm blogging about television.

Television. When Joshua and I were dating, we frequently recounted the horrors of over-televised children, swearing as parents we would never do that (yeah, all you parents go ahead and laugh) and even contemplated not having a television at all. (I never truly acquiesced to that idea... I insisted that we must have a TV somewhere on the premises with which to watch movies.) But as of late I have succumbed to my affection for all things related to plot, and have built up quite a TV-watching habit. Although thanks to the Worthy family, it is all recorded on DVR and I watch it at my leisure.

Favorite programs this year:

The Good Wife. I started watching this show because it had Julianna Margulies starring in it. I have loved her since her days on ER (pre-eyebrow waxing, even) and now that she's a 40-something I think she's even more compelling as an actress. The storyline can get a bit raunchy since it centers around the fact that Alicia Florrick's (Margulies) husband was a political figure who had an ongoing affair with a call girl and was convicted (falsely or not? we don't yet know what to make of it) of paying for her services with government (i.e. taxpayers') funds. There is actually more to his conviction than that... but it's mainly in legalese because this is a show about lawyers, and therefore I don't understand it. What's hooked me on the show is that Margulies is a mature enough actress to express the nuances of strength, betrayal, and pain that her character must be going through. That and it's a good courtroom drama. Nothing like a fiery cross-examination.

Bones. I actually just started watching Bones last season, which was when the inklings of romance between Booth and Brennan started heating up. I have no desire to go back and watch the previous seasons, because although I like the crime-solving aspect of the show and it's nerdy twist, really what keeps me going is that question: When are they going to get together already? It's fun to watch the sparks fly. And the psychologist character Dr. Sweets makes me laugh.

Biggest Loser. This season has been less entertaining than last season, mainly I think because the contestants are for the most part incredibly obese-- obese to the point that even if they lost 150 pounds while they were on the show, they would still have weight to lose. That's crazy. And it makes the transformation less dramatic when someone loses 20 pounds... and they still weigh 375. But I am a die-hard fan and will stick it out to the end. Maybe I am just expecting everyone to live up to Danny, the winner from last season, who had an amazing emotional breakthrough mid-season and then just killed it every week until the finale.

LOST. The final season! If you haven't watched the premiere episode, stop reading. This is your official *spoiler alert* although I'm not sure I'm going to spoil much. I just remember Jules wanting me to say that at one point when I was previously blogging about LOST. So they only have 14 episodes or so to answer a LOT of questions... but glory be! we finally found out what the heck the smoke monster is after years of waiting and wondering. I admit I was a little disappointed because it was so sci-fi-ish of an explanation... turning out to be the incarnation of __________ (insert creepy guy who wanted to kill Jacob since the 1800s and dressed all in black but I never know what to call him because DOES HE HAVE A NAME???). But mainly I am satisfied, simply because I have been waiting for answers for so long I am just relieved to finally be able to know something. Also... anybody else think that Jacob was reincarnated in Sayid's body at the end of the episode?

I just want to know... when did this show become all about Jacob and this other guy? This has been the progression of the expansion of the world of the survivors from Oceanic 815: We crashed on an island. Crap, there's no one here. Crap, there's a scary monster that kills people. Crap, there are people that whisper in the woods. What the heck? There are all these weird Dharma Initiative stations and videos. Crap, there's an insane French woman on this island. Holy crap, there are other survivors. Crap, there's a whole group of people on the island that are hostile. Let's call them "the Others." Crap, there's a scary cabin where supposedly this invisible guy named Jacob lives. Crap, there's this guy named Widmore who wants to kill the leader of the Others-- who is really bad, who is good? Finally... who the heck is this guy with Jacob who wants to kill him? And succeeds through Ben... and then... finally, finally... Crap, there is a strange Japanese dude with a whole group of people at a sacred temple who are scared of Jacob's nemesis... WHOEVER THE HECK HE IS. Will the writers be able to bring this full circle? We'll see.

2 comments:

zhaunie said...

My mom and brother talked about it and they think Jacob's in Sayid now too. I watched it with my mom last night, and she's just like, "Whoa, I can't believe it and [blah blah blah]." I watch the show with absolutely no expectations.

You know, I think I started watching LOST because you said I should catch up and watch it with you guys - which never happened.

Unknown said...

I started getting angry with Lost during the 5th season. Watching it back to back made me realize how quickly and drastically things were spinning out of control (and logic). But because I've already dedicated a substantial amount of my couch potato time to the first 5 episodes, I figured I might as well see how they try to tie everything together.

And Bones? Oh gosh. I LOVE that show. My mom got me into it, and I actually have slowly been going back to watch the first few seasons. But I just love Boothe. I love the differences they have and how they explain their individual logic to each other. Faith vs. Science, Love vs. Biology, and statistics vs. destiny and hope.

So good! And yes, the psychologist makes me laugh too :)