Thursday, January 6, 2011

81 mil

Today at lunch some of my co-workers and I were talking about those folks who just won the lottery—like the Mega Jackpot lottery or whatever. One of the ladies was saying that two people won the big ticket, and that they could do one lump payment of $81 million or get annual payments.

That got me to thinking about what I would do if I got one lump sum of $81 million at one time.

First, I was immediately paranoid about the thought of putting it all in the banking system in case there was ever another crash like the Great Depression. Then I thought about having $81 million in cash in my house and watching it burn to the ground. Of course, in my mind, the next logical option was to spend it.

Things I immediately thought to spend it on:

-          Land, land, and lots of land
-          A house
-          World travel
-          The thousands of charities I could write a check to
-          A house for some folks I know who could really use one
-          The personal masseur I would have on staff until the end of my days

If you had $81 million to blow, what are some things you would spend it on?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had 81 mil....
-I would buy or start a business that would keep making me money.
-I would buy land and have farm animals, and also an Elephant and some monkeys just because I like them.
-I would invest in charities that build orphanages in India or wells in Africa. Or I'd start my own.
-I would build a community of homes and plots of land for people to live and garden communally.
to name a few.

Unknown said...

Gosh, this is a blog response in and of itself. I day dream about this all the time, but in short...

-land (for personal use and donation to national preserves and put a conservation easement on it- which means it can NEVER be developed)
-design my own home
-pay off all the debt of my family and close friends
-go back to school for something I love
-buy a personal chef and trainer
-travel, travel, travel
-donations to non-profits, missionaries, and those I know who are in need
-invest like crazy
- not tell anyone I won the lottery because it apparently causes chaos

Anonymous said...

This sounds good. If I had 81 mil I would do something like this...
http://www.advphilanthropy.org/blog/