Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

I've just completed week two (of 12) of my Challenge. I am finding that my taste for super-sweet foods is diminishing bit by bit, and the less sugar-filled varieties are becoming more enjoyable. Last night Joshua and I decided to try spaghetti squash after reading about it on a paleo forum.

Squash as a substitute for spaghetti? I thought it was going to be a long shot. But we found some dairy-free, gluten-free, no sugar added marinara sauce at the health food store and added some ground beef to it for a good Italian meat sauce and proceeded to give the squash a shot.

It was easy enough-- cut the sucker in half, lengthwise; remove the pulp; and then place face down on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. When it's done you run a fork along the tender inside and strips of squash peel off that are just the same size and shape as spaghetti noodles. Top with the meat sauce and go for it.

The squash has a super-mild taste and the consistency of an al dente pasta. It was delicious, and I didn't miss regular spaghetti at all. I mean, you really never even taste the pasta anyway... it is just something for the sauce to stick to. Why not get another vegetable in and skip the noodles?

I think that another factor contributing to the expansion of my normally picky palette is that I am hungry... most of the time (not eating grains prevents you from getting that "full" feeling). So when you are hungry, lots of things that you normally might not try get a green light... and they are satisfying to boot.

Win.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Squash pasta....

hmmm.... I might have to try this. I like squash. I hate pasta.

So this would be a very interesting experiment to see how my slimy sensitive tongue decides to proceed on this particular dish.