Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday's Gratitude

I have to admit that I'm in kind of a bad mood tonight. And uninspired to write.

But today I was inspired to be grateful.

When I wake up in the mornings, I have a habit of getting on the computer to wake myself up. The blue light from the computer monitor does the trick. Anyways, I logged onto Facebook to see a comment someone had left me and on my news feed someone had posted a clip from American Idol. They made a comment about it, saying that they believed the guy was legit, and it made me curious to watch.

It turned out to be a very heart-wrenching story about a young guy who was engaged to be married to the love of his life, and two months before their wedding his fiancee got into an automobile accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury. She survived, but is paralyzed and displays the same symptoms of someone who has had a severe stroke. The guy takes care of her with her mother, and they never got married. He said something to the effect of, "I was about to make vows to this woman-- 'in sickness and in health, till death do us part'-- what kind of guy would I be if I left when she needs me most?" It was inspiring and heartbreaking all at the same time.

After the clip was over (Joshua was watching by this point, too), we knelt down and thanked God for all of our blessings. All I could think of is how horrible it would be if Joshua could never smile at me again, or reach out to touch me. Certainly puts things in perspective. Including this cranky mood I'm in now. I think I'll go smile at my husband and give him a hug.

Here is the link if you wanted to watch.

No comments: