Friday, August 29, 2014

29 | 12 Black Balsam

Today we went blueberry picking at Black Balsam Knob, which is something we try to do every year. I think there was only one year since we've been in WNC that we didn't go, and that was because the bushes weren't producing berries. I have trekked up that knob without kids, with kids that weren't mine, pregnant, and with a one year old, and now with two in tow. Thankfully Joshua was able to come along today, or else the trip would've been a no-go. But with Aidan strapped on Josh's back and Maddie in a borrowed Ergo carrier, we made the trip, along with Michelle and Elias. 

It was a beautiful day today. More muggy than is typical at that elevation, but it's been a hot and humid summer here. Believe it or not, the view from the Black Balsam parking lot off of the BRP is one of my favorites. From the parking lot you can look out and see the expanse of the knob in the heart of the mountains; it's gorgeous. 

I was excited to take Aidan berry picking today. He's still really young and I didn't know how long he would last, but overall he did well. He loves to ride in the "pack" when we go hiking. I thought I might teach him to pick berries off the bush today, but this isn't your grandma's blueberry patch. It's wild and overgrown on the side of a mountain, and you have to brave thorns and bramble and who knows what kinds of creatures to reach those delicious, sun-ripened berries. Aidan got a little scared when we led him into the blueberry bushes. They are taller than he is, and hard for an adult to get through. We coached him to take "big steps" and I helped him pick berries off the bushes... so cute to see his little toddler fingers practicing their dexterity to pick the berries off of the bushes. 

Being outside for most of the day is so refreshing! I just wish I could have been barefoot and without a timeline. I think I could truly become one of those hippies who lives off the grid, if I knew what I was doing. Nature is so good for my soul. 

No comments: