Monday, May 11, 2009

Wedding Week

This is so surreal.

Last night I was lost in the details, typing up instructions for all the people who are helping out on Saturday, but then I got into bed and closed my eyes to go to sleep and it struck me: I can't believe that I am about to get married.

Seriously, I've only been wondering about the man I would marry since I was in middle school. And now, not only do I know him, but the moment is arriving where I will stand up in front of friends and family who love us both dearly and pledge my love, loyalty, and friendship to this man to the death.

I was overwhelmed by the fact that I can't even comprehend the magnitude of this promise, and I was overwhelmed by the desire to grow into it.

Most of all, though, I felt the urgency to be present.... this week, on my wedding day, on my honeymoon. I can so easily get caught up in the details-- the seemingly important but lastingly irrelevant stuff of life that takes up time and energy and focus.

Tonight I took the time away from the to-do list (which is longer than I would like it to be) and I sat down with Joshua and a bowl of ice cream and I just sat with him, enjoying him and giving him my full attention. That is how I want this week to be. There will be people that I dearly love traveling ten hours to witness and celebrate this joining together of me and Joshua, and I want to take the moments to see them.

Really, that is how I want life to be. But I'll fight for it this weekend. I won't rush, I won't let stress take me away mentally from those around me.

And on Saturday I will remember that what matters is that two lives are now becoming one, that I am leaving my parents and clinging to my husband, and that Jesus is weaving an incredible covenant between me, Joshua, and Himself.

Wow. Talk about surreal.

1 comment:

JD @ run-thru-life.blogspot.com said...

I will only give you one little bit of advice from someone now almost 4 years married. REVEL in the service. That is something that you will only go through once in your lifetime. REVEL in each word spoken by your pastor. Let it all sink in that this is a holy service, and that God is personally blessing the two of you. It can go by very quickly if you do not try to slow everything down around you and just experience it.

JD