Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's not polite to ignore a request

My beloved Heather Heather "officially" requested a blog update about and I quote:

-something pensive

-something funny
-something listing
-something just letting the blogging world know you are still alive


So here it is.

Well, I'm not very good at funny. I don't think I've even had a really good embarrassing moment lately, except when I went about guessing the ages of my female co-workers and was wrong... totally, totally wrong. And not in the good, I guessed you're younger than you really are sort of way. So, blogging world, I am still alive! Alive and kicking, actually. Right now my life consists of a new job at the local hospital, helping my dear friend Grammy Doris connect with the online world as she fundraises for her ministry (teaching a 70-something year old woman to use Facebook is precious and priceless! I've got to get some of this on film), getting my tail whipped at CrossFit Asheville, and prioritizing time with my husband who is into his first year of nursing school and pretty much on an opposite schedule from me. Life is busy and having a full-time job again I am settling into "normal." For some reason, a few years ago the idea of a normal life was like the black plague to me. I think it's because I have a tendency to base my sense of worth on what I do. I am just now starting to realize that radical, warrior, brave, and otherworldly are matters of the heart, and from the heart flow actions that shape a life. 

A song that I have been meditating on lately is called Slow Your Breath Down by Future of Forestry. It kind of sums up where I've been and what God has been speaking to me. 

I find myself an interesting paradox these days... still full of the same conviction, fire, and passion that I've always embodied, but tempered by pain, heartache, and the realization that life and God do not fit into the nice little box tied with a bow that I had made up so nicely. I find myself a little less quick to speak, a little less quick to decide, and a little more aware that people are not always as they seem.

The best weekend I've had in a long time was last weekend. I went on a canopy zipline tour through the Nantahala Gap on the very westernmost edge of North Carolina with good friends and family. After a long (and early day) of adventuring, I returned home to make spanakopita with my family in a kitchen that isn't my own but I feel welcome in because I am part of a community. Sitting around the table with hands messy with olive oil talking about dreams and God and memories, laughing and teasing and loving... this was a good day.

In list fashion, to close this out... some random tidbits for your reading enjoyment...

1 - CrossFit. You will be hearing about this. It is intense and about elite athleticism. I have been doing a six-week course called OnRamp that teaches the basic foundations of Olympic lifting so that I can join a regular class. I feel like I'm going to die after most sessions. But I am realizing more and more that it is a discipline of the mind. Success or defeat is decided in the mind. 

2 - Paleo/primal/clean lifestyle. It goes hand-in-hand with CF training. Basically lean meats, lots of veggies, some fruit, some seeds and nuts and oils made from them, no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no sugar at all. It's a choice I'm going to have to make... I can feel it in my body. My body wants to perform but I'm feeding it crappy fuel and it's killing me for it. More discipline, my favorite. Working on it.

3 - The Closer. Can I tell you how much I LOVE Kyra Sedgwick. "Thank yooouuuu!" 

4 - The soundtrack from How to Train Your Dragon. How to Train Your Dragon for that matter. Super cute movie. Soundtrack that I play on repeat constantly. 

5 - Photography. I can't really explain this, except it is a creative outlet for me, and it is a creativity that I am coaxing back to life slowly after a long period of dormancy. I hope that it will be thriving again one day. 

6 - 3-day Walk. I am set on joining the Girlapalooza Team headed up by my friend Kak and walking the 2011 3-day in D.C. I will be hitting you up for donations, be prepared. 

7 - Loving my new job. God is good to me. 

8 - Still living lean, but we have what we need. Today I went to the eye doctor and I had insurance. It's been a long time since I have been able to say that.

9 - I will be back driving the Biltmore buses again soon for Candlelight evenings at Biltmore Estate... and hopefully driving some sweet cars for valet, too. 

10 - "Slow your breath down, just take it slow. Find your heart now... you can trust and love again." 

No comments: